If you think there’s a risk you’ll be penalised for exercising your legal right to free speech, whether it’s in the workplace or the public square, you need the protection of the Free Speech Union. How will we protect you?
- If you find yourself being targeted by a digital outrage mob on social media for having exercised your legal right to free speech, we may mobilise an army of supporters.
- If a petition is launched calling for you to be fired when you’ve done nothing other than exercise your legal right to free speech, we may help you organise a counter-petition.
- If you’re no-platformed by a university – a feminist professor who challenges trans orthodoxy, for instance – we’ll encourage you to fight back and members of our advisory councils may be able to tell you what remedies are available to you.
- If you’re a student or an academic being investigated by your university for breaching a speech code, we may take up your case with the university.
- If you’re punished by your employer because you’ve exercised your lawful right to free speech, we’ll do our best to provide you with assistance or refer you to specialists who can help.
Other benefits of membership include:
- Invitations to “speakeasies” (social events in pubs).
- Discounted tickets to FSU debates.
- Weekly and monthly newsletters.
Members will have access to a bespoke legal expenses insurance policy set up by Keystone Legal specially for our members. Under this scheme, they will be entitled to “free to access” legal assistance when it comes to breach of contract claims. That means a free consultation with a legal expenses firm called Keystone Legal Benefits Ltd. If they think you have a decent chance of winning your case, Keystone Legal will offer you legal insurance on a straightforward “one stop shop” basis. You’ll pay nothing unless you win, in which case you’ll pay Keystone 25% of any damages awarded.
We accept payments by credit or debit card, PayPal and direct debit. For credit/debit card and PayPal, we can accept payment in any currency.
* Some membership benefits are discretionary, such as pro bono legal advice, pro bono media/PR advice, public support and campaigning, and will be conferred at the discretion of the Free Speech Union, depending on the case and the broader interests of the Union.